Re: LRO: Re: Changing RR coolant

From: David Scheidt (dscheidt@tumbolia.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 23:41:13 EDT

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Faure, Marin wrote:

    :corrosion protection. There may be anti-freezes on the market
    :that are both environmentally friendly and do a good job of
    :corrosion protection. But I was certainly given the impression
    :by people I figure should know that the two are mutually exclusive.

    That's *ENTIRELY UNTRUE*. Ethylene glycol, the stuff in normal anti-freeze,
    is remarkably corrosive for something that gets put into engines. All
    commercial anti-freezes have had anti-corrosion additives for more or less
    forever. They wear out, which is why anti-freeze is supposed to be
    replaced.

    It may well be the case that there are no propylene glycol anti-freezes that
    have the corrosion protection of whatever was put in your boat; I'm not in
    a position to say. If that's the case, it's based on economic or marketing
    factors, and not on any technical reason. Anyone saying otherwise is wrong,
    wrongity wrong.

    --
    dscheidt@tumbolia.com
    Bipedalism is only a fad.