Re: LRO: Re: Changing RR coolant

From: David Scheidt (dscheidt@tumbolia.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 23:31:35 EDT

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Lonn & Rhonda wrote:

    :first week I had it, but never even thought about the coolant. I just
    :flushed the SAAB, because the factory is adamant about changing it
    :every two years and using only SAAB anti-freeze. Maybe my RR will
    :like SAAB anti-freeze? Seems that any coolant designed for aluminum
    :blocked engines should work, but my SAAB tech is insistent on using
    :only genuine SAAB anti-freeze. Wonder why?

    Phosphate corrosion. I'm pretty sure Saab's anti-freeze is made by BASF
    (who make lots of OEM anti-freeze). Their trade name is "Zerex". The Zerex
    Extreme product is probably the very same stuff as the Saab dealer sells
    you. There are concerns about mixing these sorts of coolants, so you have
    to completely flush the system. The Zerex product has been approved by BMW,
    Mercedes-Benz, Audi, VW, and others. It's probably worth checking to see
    if Saab is on the list (BASF numbers: BASF Customer Service: 1-800-445-4134
    BASF Technical Service: 1-800-521-9100)

    :
    :And what's the deal with the eco-anti-freeze that won't destroy Fido's
    :liver? Anybody have any experience with it?

    Propylene glycol based (Propylene glycol is a food additive of some
    sort...). Performs very much like traditional ethylene glycol based
    anti-freezes. If it's made with correct bunch of additives (corrosion
    inhibitors, things like that) it should work just fine. Oh, and just
    because it's made with propylene glycol doesn't mean you should dump it down
    the drain! There are nasty things in used antifreeze, and all anti-freeze
    should be properly disposed of -- recycled.

    David

    --
    dscheidt@tumbolia.com
    Bipedalism is only a fad.