LRO: Re: Changing RR coolant

From: Lonn & Rhonda (hoops@owt.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 22:57:58 EDT

    Marin said:
    > I notice some of you have Range Rovers in addition to
    > your Series. One of the really annoying things about
    > the Range Rover, at least the US-spec classic version,
    > is that there is no radiator drain as there is on a Series.
    <snip>
    >If left unchanged for a few years, old
    > coolant will actually start to dissolve the block from the
    > inside (so I was told by the factory manager at Land Rover's
    > Solihull plant in the early '90s).

    You know, it's funny that I changed ALL the fluids in my new RR the
    first week I had it, but never even thought about the coolant. I just
    flushed the SAAB, because the factory is adamant about changing it
    every two years and using only SAAB anti-freeze. Maybe my RR will
    like SAAB anti-freeze? Seems that any coolant designed for aluminum
    blocked engines should work, but my SAAB tech is insistent on using
    only genuine SAAB anti-freeze. Wonder why?

    And what's the deal with the eco-anti-freeze that won't destroy Fido's
    liver? Anybody have any experience with it?

    Lonn
    '67 109 beast
    '90 RR County
    and obviously, a SAAB...