LRO: The great shock debate

From: Rich Williams II (richw@nwlink.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 20:47:41 EDT

    Not to start a big war here but I need to replace the entire suspension on
    my 109 station wagon and would like some advice.

    Springs: I understand my 2 options are parabolic or stock and I am going
    with stock. If anyone has any insight or comments here I'm all ears.

    Shocks: Gas or hydraulic? The Woodhead (Genuine LR) hydraulic shocks work
    very well on heavier Jaguars (my only point of reference) and they seem to
    be of good quality. Gas shocks (most speak of Old Man Emu shocks) seem to
    be very popular as well.

    This truck will be my everyday driver but I will also be using it a great
    deal in the woods. Not hairy 4WD stuff but it will see plenty of trails.

    So anyone who has used some of this stuff please chime in - and is there
    anything else I need to consider when replacing the suspension? I was told
    I need to upgrade to IIa shackles and replace the frame bushings. Anything
    else?

    Thanks everyone.

    Rich
    '60 SII 109 Station Wagon
    (now filling 2 of the 3 stalls in my parent's garage)