LRO: Re: Fuel in the tank

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 20:25:38 EDT

    Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:26:58 -0700
    From: "Rich Williams II" <richw@nwlink.com>
    Subject: LRO: Fuel in the tank

    >What's the best way to remove the remaining fuel in the tank?

    Drain what you can out of the drain in the bottom of the tank. Then
    remove the tank from the vehicle if you haven't already, and remove
    the fuel gauge sender unit from the top of the tank. This will leave a
    pretty good sized hole that you can use to get the remaining fuel out.
    If you're concerned about fumes, put the drain plug back in and fill the
    tank with water, then drain. Although the fuel and water won't mix, this
    will tend to pull out whatever fuel is left in the tank. If you're going to
    weld on the tank for any reason, either use some system of ensuring the
    tank is purged of all fumes, or fill it with water. This is what our maintenance
    guy at the TV station I worked at in Honolulu would do when he had to weld
    brackets, etc. onto generator fuel tanks and so on.

    >Is it best to empty it using the drain in the bottom of the tank or siphon
    it out from above? Anyone have any experience with those "jiggle hoses"?

    Siphoning won't get all the fuel out. It will get most of it out, but not all.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE