LRO: RE: Re: Marin Faure

From: Hoult, Bryan (bryan.hoult@attws.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 15:52:57 EDT

    Group hug time.

    Bryan
    62 88
    71 109

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Faure, Marin [mailto:Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001 12:06 PM
    To: 'Land Rover Mail Group'
    Subject: LRO: Re: Marin Faure

    Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:14:52 -0500
    From: "cde3" <cde3@mindspring.com>

    >If you are bored (as I am) or offended by Marin Faure's e-mails, do what I
    do. Have all of them directly deposited into their own folder which goes
    directly into the recycle bin.

    Sounds like a good solution. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone on the
    list as that wasn't my intention. But the subject of what's a Land Rover
    and what isn't escalated to the point where it became more an exercise
    in semantics than a useful discussion, and I'm certainly largely to blame
    for that. The stuff on youth was an entertaining (but not to everyone,
    I guess) sideline, but that, too, got out of hand, for which I, again,
    was largely responsible. So I'm sorry for getting people wrapped around
    the axle on what didn't seem to me to be very big deals.

    When I started participating in this list a few years ago, it seemed to
    be largely made up of people who were interested in keeping their Series
    Land Rovers running more or less in original form. As this is what I am
    interested in, too, and is what I've been doing for almost three decades
    now, I found the list a useful exchange of information. The list has
    changed
    dramatically over the last year or so, to the point where it now seems to be
    made up
    mostly of people who are interested in modifying their Land Rovers to suit
    their
    purposes. That's okay, of course. But with a dwindling interest in the
    marque
    as built, I suppose it's natural for someone who is interested in the
    vehicles as
    they were designed to express some frustration. Judging by the reaction of
    the
    "new" list membership, I guess I went too far in expressing that
    frustration. So
    I'm sorry for upsetting so many of you.

    Those of us in the US who bought Land Rovers back in the "old days" of the
    '60s and '70s got used to being almost totally self-reliant outside of
    finding a
    parts source. There was no internet, no mailing list, and pretty much no
    communication between people who had Land Rovers unless you happened
    to live near someone who had one. For help, you called the few people who
    were selling parts back then or a Land Rover representative. Of course the
    Land Rover reps were gone after 1974. Those of us who ran Land Rovers
    back then (and there were a fair amount of folks who did; I'm certainly not
    some
    sort of rare breed in that respect) learned a lot about the vehicles in the
    course of
    keeping them going day after day. That's useful information to someone with
    stock Land Rover, but that knowledge is of dwindling value today, at least
    in the
    US.

    I understand the Toyota FJ40 folks are undergoing the same shift, from
    driving and maintaining the vehicles as built to heavily modifying them to
    suit the owners' needs or desires. I'm sorry to see the same thing
    happening
    to Land Rovers, but I guess it's inevitable as parts become harder to get
    and
    people try to make a forty-year old design cope with today's traffic
    conditions.
    I can certainly understand the frustration of trying to drive a stock Land
    Rover
    in traffic today, as I am in that boat myself.

    I will continue to maintain my Series as-built, and if I see a question on
    the list
    that I think I can help answer, I'll do so. I'm not reversing my opinion on
    what's
    a Land Rover and what's a hybrid, but it's certainly not productive to argue
    point that has no meaning or importance anymore for most Land Rover owners.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE