Re: LRO: Paint codes (no lr content)

From: David Scheidt (dscheidt@tumbolia.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 13:36:02 EDT

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Paul Oxley wrote:

    :Hi All,
    :
    :Sorry for the non-lr stuff, but my neighbour (who owns two Landies, so
    :maybe that'll suffice) has some old Duco paint codes, and is looking for
    :a modern alternative.

    The obvious method is to find a decent paint shop, and ask them.
    I've had good luck with that. The various paint companies publish a
    reference that cross-lists the comptetion's codes to their own. I
    presume Duco is a defunct brand? -- if that's the case, you'll need to
    find a shop that's been around for a while, as they may still have a
    list old enough.

    Oh. A couple minutes of searching turns up that DUCO is a DuPont lacquer
    process, developed in the mid-twenties. I'd think any DuPont dealer could
    get the info, though they might have to ask DuPont. A bit more searching
    turns out that might not be true. DUCO is nitro-cellulose lacquer, and not
    all of DuPont's nitro-cullulose colors have matching acrylic lacquer colors.
    If your neighbor's colors date from the 60's or later, he should be okay.
    If they're for a popular color earlier than that, they should be okay. If
    they've got something that's the original color, that hasn't faded horribly
    or yellowed, it can be matched. PPG (Ditzler) can provide an offset color
    code in acrylic for all of their nitro-cellulose lacquers, but some of them
    are not really a good match.

    David

    --
    dscheidt@tumbolia.com