LRO: Give Me a Brake!!

From: Mark Pilkington (mark@skywagons.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 12:37:42 EDT

    We all know that Land Rover parts are cheaper in England, but I had a beauty
    yesterday. Certain suppliers here in the USA want $239 for a CB type Brake
    master for a Series IIA. The same item can be bought NEW in England for $32 and
    shipped for $20 by Fed Ex to get it here in two days. The Clutch slave cylinder
    is $16. I was thinking of buying overhaul kits for these after Keith Tanner
    very kindly e-mailed me the diagrams on how to do this, but after seeing the
    prices, I ordered everything new and will just bolt it on. Am I right in
    thinking that the CV (single circuit) brake master off a SWB SIIA is the same
    unit as the clutch master, because the Land Rover website lists the brake master
    in the clutch section as well as the brake section and the parts look alike and
    have the same part number. What I got from England in a bag marked "Brake master
    cylinder SWB" was identical to the item I removed from the Clutch position on
    the bulkhead. I know that all the pedals are on the wrong side of the car, but
    they are still in the right order...I think.
    Kind regards,
    Mark Pilkington