LRO: Re: Rover Sighting

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 12:22:58 EDT

    Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 13:31:17 -0700
    From: "Rich Williams II" <richw@nwlink.com>
    Subject: LRO: ROVER SIGHTING

    >Parked in an office parking lot (around 11:30am) in Bellevue, Washington =
    USA was a white Series IIa 109 Station Wagon.

    I have seen an all-Limestone 109 SIIa in the Issaquah area from time
    to time in the evening on my commute home. It appears to be driving
    to or from the Sammamish plateau. May or may not be the same
    vehicle, as I've never examined it closely.

    >Oh, it also had a rear window wiper unit. Was that a factory option?

    I don't know if the factory ever installed a rear window wiper themselves.
    However, through the 1970s, you could buy a rear window wiper/washer
    kit from the LR parts houses. It consisted of a wiper motor, arm, blade and
    washer nozzle which
    you installed on the door, and a washer reservoir and pump motor identical
    to the one that came in my SIII for the windscreen washer. The reservoir and
    pump were meant to be mounted on the inside of the rear door by the motor,
    although I imagine you could put it anywhere you liked back there. The
    kit also came with a switch for the dash that was the same as the SIII's
    rotary/push switch for the windscreen wiper/washer. The fact
    that the reservoir, pump, and switch were identical to the ones fitted in the engine
    bay at the factory leads me to believe this was at least a factory "approved"
    option that dealers or owners could install. I meant to buy one, but kept
    putting it off until one day they were no longer available.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE