Re: LRO: Re: HiLift Jack Accessories.

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 19:12:31 EDT

    >> Does someone make a cover for the jack when it is mounted on brackets??
    The
    >> bag that I've seen doesn't seem to have pockets for the clamps to fit
    >> through

    >Every one knows or should, that the appropriate cover for a hi-lift jack
    >is a greasy bit of burlap.

    Having spent too much time with WD40 and a hammer trying to get a dirty
    slightly rusty hi-lift to work I disagree. A cover that keeps the mud
    from being kicked up into the jack, the rain from soaking the jack and
    starting rust is OK in my book.

    I would just as soon remove a good quality cover and start jacking then
    fighting the pins for 10 or 20 minutes trying to get them to walk up &
    down the post.

    I use the commercial hi-lift cover. I also made a hole in the side of
    the cover for my mounting pin.

    For a mounting pin I use a large grade 2 bolt with the top and bottom
    filed down. It is on a bracket make from a galvanized joist hanger. The
    base of the jack sits in the pocket of my rear militaty bumperette.

    TeriAnn
                          http://www.overlander.net

      The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
      with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.