Re: Re LRO: crap crap crap

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 09:40:52 EDT

    >Thanks for the info. Makes sense, I was thinking about it tonight as I was
    >working on the 34ich, and wondered how it fit.
    >Will call Pierce back on Monday and order the manifold. 32/36dvg's are
    >available from a local race shop at a great price.

    Be sure to check Pierce's price too. THe speed shop's carb will be off
    the shelf and probably jetted for a very different engine than your LR
    engine.

    Pierce, on the other hand has some staff tech people who know Webers very
    well. They can FAX you an engine spec sheet to fill out if you have a
    nonstock engine. It asks such things as cam specs, RPMs you plan to run,
    and compression ratio. Send it back and they should be able to send you
    a new carb already jetted for their best guess for your particular
    engine.

    Weber jets and tubes tend to be pricy so if you can get a new carb jetted
    correctly you will be well ahead of the game.

    My concern is that you might buy an off the shelf carb with generic
    jetting then either drive with the jetting off and try to make due or
    spend a bunch more money than you saved buying jets and tubes to dial the
    carb in to work correctly.

    Another thought. If you're going through all this you might want to have
    your distributer checked for wear then add a pertronix breakerless system
    if the distributer is up to snuff.

    Having spot on timing helps all this cam & carb stuff work better.

    And if you havn't done it, go up one diameter in exhaust tubing (maybe
    two) and add a low restriction muffler.

    TeriAnn
                          http://www.overlander.net

      The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
      with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.