LRO: Series radiator questions

From: Winn Bearden (wbearden@americus.net)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 13:11:33 EDT

         Is there a difference in the 2.25 rad and the 2.6 rad (SIIA)? I took one
    of my 2.6 rads down to Steve Johnson's and compared it to a 2.25, but didn't see
    a difference. All the state-side parts dealers only show one rad, but LR
    Supermarket shows a different part no. for the 2.6. The reason that I am asking
    is that Steve Parker reccomends a larger rad for the Pug 2.5 turbo-diesel , but
    I want to stick with a standard looking rad. Also, a saw an ad in one of the LR
    mags (Martin Motors, I think) for a tropical climate 4 row rad. Any
    suggestions?
          Another question. The SII rad seems to be superior to the SIII as it has
    5 rows that are offset to each other. the SIII rad only has three rows that are
    in line. Does the SII have more cooling power?
         So, should I try to R&R one of my SII 2.6 rads to use with the 2.5 TD, or
    purchase the tropical climate rad, or find a big crossflow rad that will fit in
    between the wings? I have plenty of room between the rad panel and the motor
    because it's got a 4cyl. in a 6 cyl. frame.
         Another option is that the SII rad has a thicker top tank than the bottom
    tank. If a could find a thicker core and bottom tank I could have more capacity
    and keep roughly the same dimensions.

    --
    Winn Bearden          19XX SIIa/SIII/RR 100" Hybrid
    P.O. Box 464          1967 NADA 109" SW (rolling chassis)