LRO: Clutch Bleeding mystery resolved!

From: Keith Tanner (keith@miata.net)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 22:21:59 EDT

    It's good to live in Ottawa. Ted Rose stopped by today to help troubleshoot
    my recalcitrant clutch system. After some goofing around with my vacuum
    pump, we pulled apart the clutch master cylinder while it was still
    installed in the truck. It turns out that I had neglected to bend the
    locking tab for the spring retainer down enough during my rebuild and the
    piston was roaming free in the bore. About three pumps later and voila! A
    hard pedal. Ted vanished off again after spending an hour in the driveway,
    spreading Land Rover cheer as he went.

    So - the moral of the story: even if you think the spring is always
    compressed and doesn't really need that locking tab, it isn't and it does :)

    Things still aren't adjusted quite right, as the clutch seems to drag just
    enough to prevent me from selecting a gear when the truck is stopped - but
    that's something I can deal with by getting the right adjustment on the
    pushrod, I hope. It will sit happily in the driveway with the clutch in and
    a gear selected so it's obviously a very small amount of drag. Unless
    there's some "feature" I don't know about - it's a IIa with the later
    hydrostatic clutch.

    Thank you Ted!

    Keith Tanner
    Keith's page de home: