LRO: Exhaust manifold differences SIIa/SIII?

From: Keith Tanner (keith@miata.net)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 22:22:50 EDT

    I'm replacing the cracked manifold on my IIa (okay, cracked is an
    understatement - the #4 runner fell off) and the replacement one I have is
    off an SIII. There's quite a difference - the original has a (jammed)
    butterfly valve in the exhaust manifold that's apparantly heat activated,
    while this bit is absent on the replacement. What exactly is this for
    (heating the carb?), should I be concerned for my Solex and why the change?

    For those of you interested in the progress, my site is being updated every
    few days: http://keith.miata.net/landy . I think it's still a Land Rover :)

    Keith Tanner
    Keith's page de home:
        http://keith.miata.net