LRO: Re: Newly-acquired NAS SIII

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 21:17:04 EDT

    Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 16:29:09 -0400
    From: "KURT W. KRAUSS" <kwkrauss@knlaw.net>
    Subject: LRO: Newly-acquired NAS SIII

    >I took the plunge and purchased a 1973 NAS SIII to keep my Disco II
    company. I am having it shipped from Florida and it will eventually end
    up in Manchester, Vermont. Anyone know good mechanics around there?
    Also, I am trying to locate a mint condition set of delivery documents
    like the owners manual, a dealer list, passport ot service, etc. I have
    the originals but they are tatty.

    Rovers North, probably the best Land Rover parts and technical
    information source in the US, is located in Westford, Vermont. They
    have a website, or you can call them at (802)879-0032. I'm sure they
    can help you find someone who can work on your vehicle.

    Finding a set of mint-condition documents will not be easy. I have
    all the papers that came with my SIII in 1973, and they are all in
    pretty good shape except the owner's manual, which got used
    a lot. You can get reprints of the manuals from the LRO (Land
    Rover Owner Magazine International) bookshop (they have a
    website). But if you want original manuals, Passport to Service,
    etc., I suspect that might be hard.

    One thing you might try is to contact some very established Land
    Rover dealers in the UK. It's remotely conceivable that they might
    have a stash of some of these pamphlets, manuals, etc. in a box
    in the back room. It's not likely, but it is possible....

    There are people who collect these kinds of things, and you might
    be able to locate someone either through this list or through the club
    lists in magazines like LROI.

    You might want to contact the Land Rover "museum" in the
    UK. What is it called, the Dunsfold (sp?) Trust? They have a large
    collection of old, stock Land Rovers and they may have a lot of the
    paperwork that went with them. If they only have a few examples of
    the Series III Passport to Service, they probably wouldn't want to part
    with them. But you never know what they might have until you ask.

    Another potential source of the whereabouts of this sort of material
    is James Taylor (not the singer). He used to write the Land Rover
    history articles for LROI magazine, but I believe he's shifted over to
    Land Rover World or Land Rover Magazine (LRM). He seems to be
    a wealth of knowledge about the vehicle's history, and he might have
    some leads for tracking down what you're after.

    At least you have the original documents, however tatty they may be.
    If nothing else, perhaps an experienced book restoration firm could
    do something with them so they at least don't get any worse.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE