LRO: Re: Re: LRs in WWII movies

From: Larry Smith (lodelane@home.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 20:33:44 EDT

    No, actually a Wright Whirlwind radial. Quite reliable actually.
    Non-synchro transmission.

    The M-2 Stuart used two V-8s from the Packard, one for each track. Friend
    still has a '48 Packard and most of his spares come in Mil-Standard (U.S.
    Army surplus) vapor barrier paper with Army stock numbers.

    As to flammability, that's why after the '73 Yom Kippur War, we (the U.S.)
    went to low flash cherry juice (hydraulic fluid). The Israelis were getting
    hit and while the round was survivable, the cherry juice cooked off and
    incinerated the crew. No matter what they tell you, diesel will flash also!

    But I would ask you to talk to a former Eastern Front Panzer driver about
    which tank he would have preferred. Have done so and most would have the
    T-34. Simple, low tech. Best part, it STARTS in cold weather, where diesel
    waxes and there's little "technology" to freeze. The gunner spins the
    turret with a crank versus an electric motor.

    The M-1A1 Abrams is a work of art. First round kills at infinity! But to
    change an engine pack in a hurry (until the turbine and its shields cool) is
    a BITCH!!! Nothing like the diesels of the M-60 series!!!

    Larry Smith
    (while listening to the 1812 Overture)
    Chester, VA