LRO: Something nice about Land Rovers

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 17:13:23 EDT

    Amid all the entertaining but messy mud slinging
    over what's a Land Rover, why is today's youth so
    worthless, and so on, I was reminded this morning
    of something GOOD about Land Rovers. The driver's-side
    three-point seatbelt in my SIII, while original,
    has been slammed in the door a thousand-too-many
    times. It's frayed and worn to the point where it
    would probably be considered unsafe. So I called
    Rovers North to find out if these belts are even still
    available anymore. I was told that they are, and
    they'll send me one.

    Obviously, I could have had a replacement belt made if
    they weren't available. But one thing that I've been
    impressed with ever since buying my SIII back in the "dark ages" of
    the early '70 is how easy parts are to get, and get fast.
    I get stuff for the SIII and Range Rover faster, often, than
    I get parts for my Ford pickup or BMW. Part of this is
    due to the good support by the companies in the US that,
    over the last three decades, have elected to specialize in
    importing parts for a relatively rare type of vehicle. But
    I suspect the enthusiasm people have for keeping Series
    (and Range Rovers) running in the UK has done a lot
    to encourage the parts manufacturers to continue
    making things for vehicles long out of production.

    While I have voiced my opinion that the Toyota FJ40 is superior
    to the Series, some of you have stated, I assume from
    experience, that parts for older FJ40s are getting very hard
    to get. If that is true, then that's certainly a big plus in favor
    of the Land Rover, particularly for those of us who bought
    them with the intention of running them without modification
    as long as possible.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88