Re: LRO: Weber 34 ICH

From: Bryan Hoult (bhoult@peoplepc.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 03:00:55 EDT

    Pete,

    That 3rd port on the bottom of my 34ICH is blocked by the gasket as well. I just rebuilt mine too, so I remember thinking "hmmm" as I reassembled it. Mine chokes and sputters quite a bit off throttle, and I am pulling my hair out over what's wrong. I think I may have a vacuum leak, but I haven't been able to find it. Mine will back fire and miss when I'm going down hill off throttle. If I rev it a bit as I come off the gas, it seems to behave a bit better.

    Best of luck.

    Bryan

    On Wed, 04 April 2001, "Hope Peter" wrote:

    > Well, the 32 ICH kit was pretty easy to get so I ordered one while I was
    > waiting for the 32/34dmtl kit and some other parts to arrive.
    > Went ahead and rebuilt the carb today. Have a dip tank, so soaked the
    > striped parts over night. Blew out all the passages with compressed air.
    > Set the float level. Replaced all the parts. Installed on vehicle.
    > Thing still runs like crap. Have to have the idle screw turned in about 5-6
    > turns, so far thet the butterfly is into the transition area. It also has a
    > terrible hesitation on rapid aceleration. From an idle if I go straight to
    > full throttle, it stalls.
    > Have double checked all the manifold bolts. Checked for vacuum leaks with
    > carb clean. Nothing.
    > When looking at the bottom flange, manifold mounting area of the carb, there
    > are 3 holes in the base. Two of these holes are plugged with lead balls, one
    > is not. The gasket isn't notched for this 'port'. There is also a 4th port
    > that is near the shoulder, but more in the throat of the venturi. This
    > leads to the external vacuum port for the dizzy.
    > So anyone have a 32ich laying about? I can snap a few pics and send to you
    > to show what I am talking about.
    > Should all 3 of the holes be filled, or should I notch the gasket?
    > I am thinking of plugging the feed to the brake booster, and plugging the
    > vacume advance port and seeing if there is any difference.
    > I am so stumped with this one.
    > 1970 Ser IIa 2.25 petrol 8:1 head, stock dizzy and ignition. Plugs are new.
    > Points, valve and timing are spot on. Compression is 138-145psi.

    PeoplePC: It's for people. And it's just smart.
    http://www.peoplepc.com