LRO: Weber 34 ICH

From: Hope Peter (hope_peter@bah.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 02:30:46 EDT

    Well, the 32 ICH kit was pretty easy to get so I ordered one while I was
    waiting for the 32/34dmtl kit and some other parts to arrive.
    Went ahead and rebuilt the carb today. Have a dip tank, so soaked the
    striped parts over night. Blew out all the passages with compressed air.
    Set the float level. Replaced all the parts. Installed on vehicle.
    Thing still runs like crap. Have to have the idle screw turned in about 5-6
    turns, so far thet the butterfly is into the transition area. It also has a
    terrible hesitation on rapid aceleration. From an idle if I go straight to
    full throttle, it stalls.
    Have double checked all the manifold bolts. Checked for vacuum leaks with
    carb clean. Nothing.
    When looking at the bottom flange, manifold mounting area of the carb, there
    are 3 holes in the base. Two of these holes are plugged with lead balls, one
    is not. The gasket isn't notched for this 'port'. There is also a 4th port
    that is near the shoulder, but more in the throat of the venturi. This
    leads to the external vacuum port for the dizzy.
    So anyone have a 32ich laying about? I can snap a few pics and send to you
    to show what I am talking about.
    Should all 3 of the holes be filled, or should I notch the gasket?
    I am thinking of plugging the feed to the brake booster, and plugging the
    vacume advance port and seeing if there is any difference.
    I am so stumped with this one.
    1970 Ser IIa 2.25 petrol 8:1 head, stock dizzy and ignition. Plugs are new.
    Points, valve and timing are spot on. Compression is 138-145psi.