LRO: Re: To be a Land Rover or not to be a Land Rover - that is the question

From: Richard.Clarke@nre.vic.gov.au
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 23:54:17 EDT

    I have an early Series 1 and nearly all the mechanical parts are from later
    model vehicles (except for the after market diff. and alternator), so is it
    still a Landy? - it certainly wouldn't qualify for concourse even if it was in
    better condition!

    (LWB offset rims, Ser 2a engine with some Ser III bits, Ser IIa radiator, Ser
    IIa gearbox and transfer case, Ser II front axle housing and axles, Ser III
    salisbury rear axles in Ser I housing, Ser IIa lwb 6 cylinder brakes including
    master, drums and cylinders, ser II steering (oops - after market steering
    wheel, etc. etc)

    As far as possible I try to use genuine Land Rover parts so that the vehicle can
    feel comfortable with them - I can't imagine how a British vehicle is going to
    be happy with a French or German engine for example - such proposals are asking
    for difficulty as it is highly unlikely the parts will be happy (a challenge for
    the TD4 Freelander I'm sure - maybe its only a problem with older vehicles - now
    that there's a 'Common market' newer vehicles are probably much happier with the
    mixing)

    The stage 1 Landy in Australia had a (Japanese) Isuzu engine as an option, the
    vehicle recognised the engine as foreign but recognised the LT95 gearbox and
    front diff. as slightly foreign as they came from the Range Rover (close
    brother)- the first bit that was 'genuine' to the traditional LandRover was the
    10 spline inner axle on the front - this is where all the 'conflict' was
    manifested, so not unexpectedly, this was the common failure point. The same
    reason is why Ser gear boxes often fail behind Chev engines or if you also
    replace the gear box the diff. fails - its the meeting of the two 'races' at a
    single point of contact.

    The only way to manage this properly is to introduce the parts slowly to allow
    acclimatisation or change the whole lot - although this can then cause problems
    with the body work - Disco was an 'immitation Japanese vehicle' built by the
    British but it used the tried and true British aluminium panels - the vehicle
    identified the Japanese/British conflict at the panel interface - the door
    frames (perceived as Japanese) and the door skins (perceived as British) were
    unhappy in contact so corosion develloped - same theory applies to that 'failed'
    Italian diesel they tried to put in Rangies a few years ago

    The best way to fit, for example a Chev. motor into a Series Landy, is to carry
    the motor around in the tray until they become acclimatised, if the Landy really
    doesn't like it it will dump the motor out or the tray will fall off or
    someting, otherwise eventually it will acclimitis.

    Another technique is the Terri-Anne technique - confuse the Landy for quite a
    while so that it forgets who/what it really is, and then you can do almost
    anything with it - of course this can be very dangerous because if you convince
    it it is a Toyota it may just rust before your eyes!

    Here ends the lesson on the Clarke theory of vehicle modification

    Richard C