LRO: Re: Rovers in WWII

From: Vel Natarajan (vel@enteract.com)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 11:52:36 EDT

    On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 01:21:02PM +0100, Frank Elson wrote:

    > Tom Clancy, universally acclaimed for getting his facts right, had someone
    > driving a 'Land Rover Jeep'...

    I think I see a pattern. I've found a couple of cases where Clancy is
    a little shaky on his automotive facts.

    - In the one about the drug-cartels, he describes the Columbian
    dealers using "large, fast BMW M3's". The M3's are fast, but not
    something I would call big. Relative to a Toyota Corolla, yes, but If
    I were running a drug cartel, I'd consider M5's big and fast and use
    them for my henchmen (and keep one for myself :-)). The M3's were not
    a sub-compact, but certainly not "large".

    - In the one about the Irish terrorists, Jack Ryan's wife and daughter
    drive head-on into a barrier with her Porsche 911. He describes steam
    coming from the engine bay. (of a rear-engined, air-cooled car, that
    drives head-on into a divider?).

    - The Land Rover Jeep thing Frank mentions only adds to my impression
    he doesn't know or care much about his car research.

    - Not an automotive case, but in Rainbow Six, he didn't realize how
    cellular phone networks are connected and configured. He had one of
    the characters driving out to each of the cell-sites with a floppy
    disk to disable the phones for the bad-guys. (Since I've been writing
    and troubleshooting/supporting GSM base-station software for the past
    11 years (actually, my team does now) I see this as an error.

    There could be alternate explanations for these discrepancies. After
    all, it is fiction.

    Rgds,
    Vel
    '65 SWB SW