LRO: Quiet 2.25s

From: Coates, Clinton (CCoates@golder.com)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 11:39:03 EDT

    Hi Dave,

    >I think that's the proper state of a well-tuned 2.25 in good nick.
    >Mine haven't made noise at idle. A bit of valve noise sometimes,
    >but it's a really quiet idler. Put some revs on it, and it gets
    >loud, 800 RPM is a lot louder than 650.

    Sorry, I wasn't clear on this. My 2.25 was quite at idle as well. Not ever
    *quite* quiet enough to mistakenly blurbgrindddwhizzzz the starter by
    accident with the engine running, but pretty quiet. What impressed me was
    that these engines were quieter at speed.

    Hi Alan,

    <snip II vs IIa>

    >Really, I think it was mostly tighter quality controls on the
    >forgings...but that's a personal opinion.

    Hmmm. Maybe they were also trying to really get it right in the face of
    percieved competition from Austin?

    >Hmmm...balancing an engine isn't rocket science - a die grinder and
    >a good scale will get you a big improvement. Next 2.25 I do is going
    >to get done that way - also going to get bored 40 over, catch a
    >2.25 Diesel cam and go for a bit more power.

    You dawg you! Gonna tub out the rear wells, lower the suspension, slap on
    some mag wheels and synch up undercarriage neon lights with the stereo too?
    Just imagine... klatta..thumpthumpTHUMP..klattaklatta...
    thumpthumpTHUMP...... :-) This sounds like a good idea to me. Don't forget
    to port match the manifolds. In my reading of B&B-ing an engine, it was
    mentioned in a couple of sources that it was not a good idea to do too much
    grinding as it could weaken the components. Of course, we are not talking
    about a big block rat engine here... What impressed me about the MB engine
    rebuild protocol is that they already have done this right from scratch. Of
    course, we are talking about higher stresses and an engine that costs about
    3.5k to rebuild, instead of 1k.

    Clinton "getting all misty about the 2.25" Coates