Re: LRO: Literary Rover and other ramblings

From: Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus (Alan_Richer@Lotus.com)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 07:38:04 EDT

    >Though I will gladly admit the series II (not IIA) engine is considerably
    >smoother and better-balanced than its IIa counterpart. Miss Jess idles so
    >quietly you can barely hear her run.

    >Interesting. I wonder how they managed to do that?

    Not sure - but there is a very definite quality level difference between
    the II and IIa engines. Some of the design issues are just silly (likel the
    small con-rod bearings) but others are really nice (like the design mods in
    the lifters).

    Really, I think it was mostly tighter quality controls on the
    forgings...but that's a personal opinion.

    >I had thought it would be
    >fun someday to try this with a 2.25 engine, start from the bare block and
    >warehous full of bits and start weighing, just to see what the result
    would
    >be.
    >
    >Clinton

    Hmmm...balancing an engine isn't rocket science - a die grinder and a good
    scale will get you a big improvement. Next 2.25 I do is going to get done
    that way - also going to get bored 40 over, catch a 2.25 Diesel cam and go
    for a bit more power.

                             ajr