Re: LRO: Re: RE: Re: LRs in WWII movies

From: lroml@minbar.fourfold.org
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 01:05:29 EDT

    On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Alex Maiolo wrote:

    > As far as I know, there are two running Tigers in the world. They are both

    The British Tank museum has one, and their web site says it is the only
    working one (Panzer Mk VI Tiger I) of six, though the later number can't
    be correct.

    > Hopefully it won't involve Poland...

    Caused a war once for all the wrong reasons, but that is massive messages
    away to resolving.

    > The Germans' idea of engineering produced the finest war machines of their
    > day - indisputably - but they were finicky high performance rigs, like oh,
    > lessee here, a BMW, whereas the Cromwells, Shermans, Stuarts, etc were
    > *total* pieces of crap, slow, high profiled, thin-armored and heavy, but
    > FIELD SERVICABLE!

    Actually, a good trivia question is "what was the best tank in WWII" THe
    answer is actually the Centurion. Three prototypes made it into action
    and took apart German armour. Other than the Centurion, I'd say the T-34,
    which the Russians offered to the Brits (all the engineering plans etc),
    but the Brtis rejected, as they didn't want to deal with the Russians
    before 1940.

    > Back in the day, it seemed like ths low technology could win wars because it
    > was easy to fix with little training. Hell, even during the Cold War word

    Best truck in the German Army on the Eastern Front was a Studebaker...