LRO: Re: RE: Re: LRs in WWII movies

From: Alex Maiolo (Rovernut@nc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 23:28:47 EDT

    As far as I know, there are two running Tigers in the world. They are both
    at the museum in Samur France. One runs quite well, and the other doesn't,
    but they have big plans for it.
    Hopefully it won't involve Poland...
    They also have a Panther, Panzer IVG, a couple of Marders, a StuG III, StuH
    42, Jagdpanzer, and a couple of Hetzers.
    There are quite a few non-running Tigers in the world - a few located
    domestically I think, and at the museums around Ste. Mere Eglise there are
    plenty of Tiger parts - treads, cannon, wheels, etc.

    What's the LR content here? (Before Lonn comes to NC to kick my butt for
    filling his mail box with this tripe):
    The Germans' idea of engineering produced the finest war machines of their
    day - indisputably - but they were finicky high performance rigs, like oh,
    lessee here, a BMW, whereas the Cromwells, Shermans, Stuarts, etc were
    *total* pieces of crap, slow, high profiled, thin-armored and heavy, but
    FIELD SERVICABLE!
    One Sherman loses a turret, the other loses it's chassis. Send them back to
    the rear only a few miles, hose out the gore, assemble a new tank, press
    forward.
    Back in the day, it seemed like ths low technology could win wars because it
    was easy to fix with little training. Hell, even during the Cold War word
    had it that if The Bomb really did go off, our circuit boarded,
    micro-chipped planes would be grounded, but MiGs would fly because they
    still used vacuum tubes!

    Lets hope Ford remembers this.
    I'll hold my breath...

    Alex Maiolo