LRO: Literary Rover and other ramblings

From: Coates, Clinton (CCoates@golder.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 14:31:22 EDT

    Hi Alan,

    <snip>...Miss Jessica still smells like the farm she lived on on the Isle of
    Wight for so many years.

    Good point there. But then, your truck is original ;-) Mine is a bitsa
    that was taken to pieces and put back together with freshly painted panels,
    so most of its olifactory history has been lost. *sigh*

    >>...silky-quiet...turbine-like...smooth, well balanced powerplant...

    >Next time you do that, CLinton, put a smiley in front of it.....I damn near
    >choked on my coffee.

    Sorry Alan, don't drink and read then... ;^)

    >Though I will gladly admit the series II (not IIA) engine is considerably
    >smoother and better-balanced than its IIa counterpart. Miss Jess idles so
    >quietly you can barely hear her run.

    Interesting. I wonder how they managed to do that? Though, I have heard a
    couple of recently rebuilt 2.25 lumps that were extremely quiet. One was
    just "rebuilt" but the other, I think, had someone go to the trouble of
    weight matching the engine components first. Maybe it was serendipity...

    On a related subject, the diesel engine in my mercedes 300D is surprisingly
    quiet. At idle, it is loudish, but the higher it revs, the quiter it gets,
    until there is just a low hum at 70 mph. After a good highway thrash, the
    idle quiets down to a low, happy chortle. I know there is sound proofing,
    but not *that* much sound proofing (note for wrecking yard divers, this
    stuff could probably be used in a rover, especially the thick floormat
    deading...). Going throught the manual, it seems that these engines are
    balanced and blueprinted right out of the box. The cylinders and conn rods
    come in a wide range of weight classifications, and the book cautions that
    when rebuilding the engine, to ensure that if any components are re-used,
    that new componenst match the ranges. Very cool. I had thought it would be
    fun someday to try this with a 2.25 engine, start from the bare block and a
    warehous full of bits and start weighing, just to see what the result would
    be.

    Clinton