LRO: Gasket under glass

From: Scott Wickham Jr. (urbncby@sgi.net)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 19:09:13 EDT

      Well, I finally got around to pulling the head off Sherman to see if in
    fact I had a blown head gasket. You bet! A good 1/2 in gap missing from
    the middle of it between cyl.#'s 2 and 3. And the 3/4 gap was cracked but
    still there. I didn't crack check it yet but, the block looks good from
    just eyeballing it. I'll bet he runs better when I get that new gasket in
    there. I have to go out of town for the rest of the week but at least I
    know what's going on in there. Next is the xcase. 2Hi good, 4Low good, 4Hi
    seems to give power to the front, then slip, then power, then slip. Scary
    clank when it does this too. I'm thinking about taking Sherman to Ottawa
    this year so I'll need to get this sorted 1st. I think I can find a SIIa
    xcase to put in there to see if that will fix it until I can get into the
    one that goes clank......clank......clank.

      By the way, we have a new SI in our club! Mark Love has purchased a '58
    RHD SI 88" in great shape. We drove down last Sat. to Baltimore to get it.
    Seems that Q was the one who brought it into the country back in '91ish. I
    was sold to Tony, and now Mark has it. What a nice truck. New brakes all
    around, new tilt, pretty fresh 2.25 engine with a Weber 1bbl. Nice hard top
    and doors too. A few of us FPLRG guys were over there Sunday as Mark and
    Dave got the brakes working then 7 of us piled in it and drove through the
    neighbor's yard down to the street. Carb needs rebuilt to be smoother and
    it popped out of low a couple times (good thing the brakes worked so good!).
    Good score on that truck Mark.

    Scott C. Wickham Jr.
    Pgh. Pa.
    '72 88" (secretly disguised as a IIa)