LRO: Re: LR drive or destination?

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 13:19:51 EDT

    Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:11:32 +0100
    From: "Frank Elson" <frankelson@felson.freeserve.co.uk>
    Subject: Re: LRO: Re: LR drive or destination?

    >My son, Ser driver, is 32, my grandson, 15, is saving up for one, my mate's
    son, 22 is a Ser driver...
    plenty of young folk in our clubs. Just about everyone on the UK list is
    younger than me.

    But that's in the UK, where Land Rovers have been a part of life
    since the late 1940s. So almost everyone grew up riding in them,
    or at least being around them. In the US, anyone young who
    has any interest in a Land Rover (Series) only sees it as a starting
    place to hack it up and build something to their specifications. That's
    okay, but it illustrates the total lack of appreciation for the vehicle's history,
    character, and value among US owners, particularly the newer ones. Show
    a kid in the UK a perfectly preserved Series I, and he or she will probably
    say, "What a brilliant machine." Show the same Series I to a kid in the
    US and the reaction will be, "Hey, let's see if we can fit a Ford V-8 in
    there." My dog has a better sense of history than the average US
    kid, because at least my dog can remember where he left the stick
    he was playing with the day before.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88