LRO: RE: Parts availability vs. bulletproofing

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 12:59:22 EDT

    Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:50:07 -0500
    From: "Jean-Leon Morin" <offroaddesign@softhome.net>
    Subject: LRO: Re: RE: Parts availability vs. bulletproofing

    >Never replaced half shafts? This is the type of thing I was talking about.
    If the maintenance and repair done to your Land-Rover is simply what you stated, hey, I'd keep
    it stock too.

    Never broken a halfshaft in twenty-eight years. (Now watch, one will break
    as I drive home today.)

    >The faith you have in engineers is absolutely alien to me. ...Corporate
    engineering has always, and will always be, the enemy of durable design.

    I will pass your comments on to Boeing's engineering and design management.
    I had no idea our airplanes were so undurable....

    >Not defending my creation one bit. Merely trying to understand why you place
    so much value on something being a "Land-Rover", or a Land-Rover.

    All I'm saying is don't totally modify a Land Rover with a new engine,
    new drivetrain, new other major components, and think it's still a
    Land Rover. It isn't. It's something you built using a Land Rover
    as a starting point. But it's no longer a Land Rover in terms of
    value, character, authenticity, etc. It may be a great vehicle
    for your own uses, but to someone genuinely interested in true
    Land Rovers, it ain't one. It's just something you put together
    that happens to have a Land Rover body and badge. But it's not
    a Land Rover any more than a NASCAR Pontiac is a
    real Pontiac.

    Did Land Rover make your vehicle as it sits in your garage
    today? Yes or no. It's a very simple issue.

    Technically, my own SIII is not a Land Rover because I
    put my own instrument panel in it. But it's a hell of a lot
    more of a Land Rover than one that's had the engine, drivetrain,
    etc. changed.

    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88