Re: LRO: RE: MityVac & Clutch bleeding questions.

From: Perrone Ford (ford_p@nettally.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 09:55:36 EDT

    Something puzzles me about the whole vacuum issue vs pressure.  When attempting to create a vacuum, it seems that there are any number of issues that can cause problems, most notably the failure to retain a tight seal in the system.  This has been the bane of different systems I have read about for over a year.  Its the primary reason that I chose a pressure bleeding system.

    I had heard of problems using the MityVac system from Land Rover owners, BMW owners, and Porsche owners.  In every case, they suggested that the pressure bleed was better.  Here is why:

    1.  Only 1 place to worry about getting a seal.
    2.  Screw on cap makes #1 trivial
    3.  Large reservoir so that topping up is unnecessary
    4.  Pressurizing a system is MUCH easier than creating a vacuum.
    5.  ABS systems cannot be effectively gravity or vacuum bled (not important for series guys)

    I have not used the pressure bleeder on a series truck, but my friend with a IIA 109 has one or order and will be using it so I may be able to offer a report on its usefulness in that regard.  I very much like my pressurebleeding system because it is self contained, holds about a gallon of fluidin  reserve, has adjustable pressure up to 30 psi (built in gauge) and ishand pumped.  I need only carry it, a small length of tubing, and a containerfor old fluid.  And unlike the black nipple fittings you guys seem to be struggling with, mine don't need to fit tightly although they do.

    -Perrone

    Tackley, John wrote:

    They are supposed to fit tightly and make a proper seal, but they only seem
    to work, for me, on my 'merican stuff(trucks, trailers & such).
    For my LRs, I use one of the cone shaped black fittings and insert the one
    of proper size >into> the bleed screw. Otherwise, just use tubing of proper
    size to slip tightly over the bleed screw, and join to the mighty vac with
    one of the black joint fittings or cones to the tubing attached to the MV.
    A box wrench/ignition wrench(the teeny ones) hung on the bleed screw prior
    to attaching the tubing or fitting facilitates opening and closing the bleed
    valve. A small nylon zip tie may help you make a good seal with the tubing
    size you have, and relieve you of having to hold it on the bleed screw.
    Armed with a MityVac...