LRO: RE: MityVac & Clutch bleeding questions.

From: Tackley, John (jtackley@dit.state.va.us)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 08:24:11 EDT

    They are supposed to fit tightly and make a proper seal, but they only seem
    to work, for me, on my 'merican stuff(trucks, trailers & such).
    For my LRs, I use one of the cone shaped black fittings and insert the one
    of proper size >into> the bleed screw. Otherwise, just use tubing of proper
    size to slip tightly over the bleed screw, and join to the mighty vac with
    one of the black joint fittings or cones to the tubing attached to the MV.
    A box wrench/ignition wrench(the teeny ones) hung on the bleed screw prior
    to attaching the tubing or fitting facilitates opening and closing the bleed
    valve. A small nylon zip tie may help you make a good seal with the tubing
    size you have, and relieve you of having to hold it on the bleed screw.
    Armed with a MityVac...

    (one of two methods can be used w/ the MV, reverse pressure or
    suction(vacuum) bleeding...see http://www.mityvac.com/tech.html)

    , an old bicycle inner tube...

    (cut in half 180 degrees opposite the schrader valve, then tie one open end
    in a tight knot or zip tie it tightly to make a seal, stretch the other end
    over the reservoir and pump up the tube only with a hand pump(shop air will
    likely make a big BOOM, spraying brake fluid indiscriminately onto your
    painted surfaces:-o)'til the tube expands slightly, open a bleed screw until
    clean bubble-less brake fluid emerges into your drain bottle, watching that
    the reservoir does not go dry during the process.)

    ...and a hand pump, some zip ties, a few hose clamps, anyone can either
    vacuum or pressure bleed any vehicle hydraulic brake/clutch system
    solo(...not to mention the many other tasks a MV is useful for).

    JT/ric