[lro] Re: Anyone tried this?

From: jhdolan (jhdolan@sover.net)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 21:07:13 EST

    Subject: Re: [lro] Anyone tried this?

    Wayne lee wrote:
    I have just recently sold my 67 P5 MKIII Coupe which was the last year for
    the 3 Liter. If the engine is from a later 3 Liter with the Weslake
    Head,it's a big plus. Noticable improvement in power from my older P5
    and it
    had better fuel economy too. I have a 4 - Speed
    w/overdrive for the 3-Liter for sale if anyone has a use for one.

    ============

    I think the 3L was replaced by the 2.6 because of the connecting rod
    length in the 3L and distortion/breakage resulting from occasional high
    torque demands when used in a LR. The Weslake head is an improvement,
    but unless you want to chase down and fiddle with a bunch of obscure
    bits, converting to that is bothersome. (Just perusing the parts books
    has deterred me, and that's with having all the bits at hand). If it has
    the Weslake head, that's good, but even without its still good. In good
    tune they are incredibly smooth running, what with 7 main bearings and all.
     Anyway, I'd have an interest in the 4spd with OD setup. Do have a good
    working setup and another to back that up, but there's room in the barn
    for more. Alas, the crankshafts at output on the 3 liters are different
    so converting an autobox is more than I'd like to do, so it would go to
    spare. If it needs a good home let me know.

    see ya on the old road,
    jim '61 88" SW w/OD, hubs, 16's, 1 Bbl Weber (econobox?) 'Selig'
         '60 P5 MkI LHD, 4 spd w/OD 'Olive(r)'
       2 '63 P5 MkII LHD, autobox
         '64 P5 MkII LHD autobox
    Bethel, Vt.