[lro] Land Rover Frost Bite?

From: Paul Quin (pquin@shaw.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 11:56:33 EST

    Speaking of cold weather...

    I'm expecting delivery of a 110 this week that has been traveling accross
    Canada by rail for the last six weeks (don't ask...) It was in Winnipeg
    right at the peak of the recent prairie cold snap where temperatures dipped
    to below -50C at night. Before the Land Rover was shipped, I had the
    previouse owner top up the antifreeze and test the coolant. He says that
    the mixture went off the scale of his tester (the usual float type) so I
    hope the rad / engine block have survived.

    Living on the Canadian Riviera like I do, where our recent cold snap got
    down to - 3C (26 F) I have no experience with the likes of -50. Should the
    Land Rover be okay when it arrives? Can I expect a dead battery? Anything
    else to check before she's fired up?

    TIA

    Paul Quin
    Victoria, BC Canada