Re: [lro] radiator

From: Hope Peter (hope_peter@bah.com)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 11:36:22 EDT

    > An electric fan works fine for road use but the engine really needs the
    > ventilation of the stock fan when working hard off road. Without it you are
    > wide open to vapour lock problems especially with the weber carb.

    An electric fan moves the same volume of air cruising down the highway or
    sitting at idle. Its speed is not related to engine speed. As long as the fan
    moves the right amount of cfm for the engine horse power, is the right diameter
    for the radiator and you have a thermostat control for it, you wont go wrong.
    Thermostat is really to ensure that the engine does warm up properly and stays
    within the proper operating range. I was reading about a new fan recently were
    the fan speed is based upon temp, pretty cool idea.

    My 88 is heavier then a stock truck. Doing some long climbs in the hills on
    Oahu with friends, I was actually running cooler then all the other guys with
    the lighter, mechanically fanned trucks.

    HTH
    Pete