Re: [lro] Salisbury rear axle

From: Hope Peter (hope_peter@bah.com)
Date: Sat Apr 19 2003 - 10:53:01 EDT

    > How much of a job is it to fit a Salisbury rear axle to a SIIA 88? Are
    > there any major frame changes that need to be done? Anyone out there do
    > this?

    Aloha Chuck,
    yes a number of people have done it, including me.
    It's not that much of a job and you don't need any major frame changes.
    You do need to get a new drive shaft and weld new spring perches onto the
    axle.
    The 88 rear axle has the perches with a 28" center. The 109 is closer to
    34". I never bother measuring the 109, so thats just an estimate.
    If you are good with a torch you can cut the 109 perches off and they can
    be re-used. If you can't cut them off cleanly then it's not hard to find
    new perches. Just about any axle or 4x4 shop will have them.
    I got a double caradon joint drive shaft made up by Tom Woods drive
    shafts. Good price and quality work. The Rover flanges have the same bolt
    pattern as a CJ so basically you give them the distance between the flanges
    and the bolt pattern of the flange. Had the shaft in 5 days.
    With the DC drive shaft its not as critical to keep the drive flanges
    parrallel, so you can install the Sals with the nose pointed up a bit.
    This keeps the axle end joint happy. The double joint at the t-case end
    handles the steep angle.
    I have 15k on the sals now and not an ounce of complaint.
    Pete