[lro] Re: Series wheel spacers?

From: offroaddesign@softhome.net
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 15:30:19 EDT

    Al sez:

    > Even the double-row setup would be easy enough to make with
    > a decent lathe. Just turn a centre, aly out and drill for
    > studs, and then lay out and drill for recessed bolt
    > holes...

    60 quid each for THAT? You could make some for 60# a set, probably. Piece of
    8" OD 4" ID 6061, from the friendly metal shop, parting cutter, and a drill
    press (make a jig out of an old hub or a brake drum). I figure the
    material's a hundred, canuck buck, plus a box of wheel studs and some drill
    bits.

    You would LOVE the standard co. lathe I've spent the last three hours on.
    Nice to be able to fit a 12" diameter piece of 1/2" plate in the chuck with
    room to spare. BTW - THREE jaw. The four jaw would probably allow you to
    spin an entire engine block ;-)

    I swear the only thing this lathe needs is a chrome smoke stack and
    clearance lights. The shop lights dim when I throw this puppy in gear :-)

    BTW, while on the subject of machining, I'm finishing up my graduation
    project today and (big surprise) it's a rover thing.

    I designed and build a fully hydraulic disc brake setup to replace the
    transmission brake. It's a Wilwood Dynalite billet alum. alloy 4 pot caliper
    with SS pistons, with all the brackets to mount it to the T case (no
    modifications necessary) and there is a hose that extends up to a small
    hydraulic pump with integral reservoir, with built in pressure relief.
    Basically, two pumps of a lever and rover ain't moving - ever. The design
    criteria for this thing is dry pavement (.9 frictional coeff.), dragging all
    four wheels along the pavement (actually, right before that, static, not
    kinetic for the anoraks), and with 3.54 gears (less reduction) and 36"
    tires(moment arm, baby!), with a safety factor of 2+. I've got built in
    shear pins on the rotor (haven't had time to cross drill it, maybe later on)
    so the transfer case doesn't explode if ever I forget it's engaged and drop
    the clutch in low range at 4500 rpms.

    I get to try it out tonight!

    J-L