[lro] While I have the cylinder head out...

From: A. P. \ (apg4@mail.pinn.net)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 10:36:04 EDT

    "Robert Palmer" <rbpalmer_nrt@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Yep that was me - The second cylinder was at 35# - and the exhaust valve in
    >that cylinder has a couple of triangular wedges cut out of the edges.

    Which usually means the valve guides are shot...BTDT...got the T-shirt....

    In my case, I was #4 exhaust - I was told by the machinist that I was about
    25 miles from catastrophic failure. The geometry of the tappets and rocker
    arms is such that the valves actually rotate slowly in place. (Put a dab
    of paint on one and you can watch it do its little dance with a strobe
    light.) If the bore of the valve guide gets a bit loose, the valve shaft
    will tip ever-so-slightly out of vetrical and instead of rotating, it will
    contact at one place one the head first on each closure. In addition to
    the simple repetitive stress, this allows a 'hot spot' to build up,
    resulting in the familiar, pie-shaped cracks.

    If your machine shop is up to snuff, ask them to knurl the guides, which
    allows them to keep/hold more oil. My machinist did this as a matter of
    course, but he was of the 'old school'...sadly, he has retired....

    Cheers