Re: [lro] Transfer box oil

From: Patrick Parsons (patrickparsons@hawaii.rr.com)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 21:17:09 EDT

On 4/12/03 9:11 AM, "William L Leacock" <roverbilly@juno.com> wrote:

> Adding volume to the bottom plate seems a lot of work to fix a few oil
> leaks.

In my case, the added volume isn't merely to overcome/mask a leaky seal.

The V8's exhaust runs a few inches underneath the front output of the case,
which softens the seal, added to the grit that gets forced in from the front
(from the right front tyre) causing it to leak just after being changed. I
can keep changing them, as I used to, and they keep on leaking.

The extra volume would be there for the lube's benefit due to the heat added
to the transfer case from the exhaust pipe being so close.

Wrapping that section of the exhaust has also crossed my mind.

My tranny has a pump and external cooler up front, so it has the means to
dissipate heat, but the transfer box is on its own.

Since I'm not in "gonzo-offroad-mode" these days, I don9t mind adding some
volume to the transfer case if it will help in some way. Duh. Given what I
just said, maybe I ought to change it again and see how long it lasts now
that it isn't subjected to repeated dunkings in florida's mud and sand
mixture...

--pat.