Re: [lro] Salisbury Axles and finding TDC...

From: Alan J. Richer (mrchurchill109@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 13:30:09 EDT

    --- Robert Palmer <rbpalmer_nrt@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Definitely have oil consumption issues, so I'm suspecting
    > worn rings but
    > want to do a full check to see what's what. Just
    > adjusted the carb and it
    > was running rich, but is adjusted now. But the 109
    > overall sounds very
    > 'throaty' with no power to back it up...

    The oil and the lack of power could be separate things.
    First thing I'd suspect is bad intake valve seals and/or
    worn valve guides. Have you ever had the head off this
    engine?

    How is the compression overall?If it's even and level
    across all 4 a set of seals and a valve grind might just do
    wonders - essentially a decoke as the manual calls it.

    The other quick and tricky you might want to try is setting
    the points, then going and finding a hill and playing with
    the timing. Most 2.25s will run happily at advance above
    that called out in the manual, as modern fuels are
    definitely higher octane than the spooge these old boys
    were built to run on.

                    ajr

    =====
    The journey is the destination. Anything else is illusion.

    Please ignore the following advertising.....
    http://tax.yahoo.com