Re: [lro] Transmission

From: John Karlsson (karlsson@oco.net)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 13:34:34 EDT

    >>>I thought about applying heat, but the only applicator handy was my
    >>>oxy-acetylene torch, so I decided to try more conservative
    >>>approaches. Channel locks were a no go, as there are several studs in
    >>>the way, and I was too lazy to take them out. I tried a hammer and
    >>>punch in the groove, but I couldn't turn it that way, so it does seem to
    >>>be a bit tight. I awoke this morning with visions of an impact puller
    >>>made of 1/8" x 1/2" angle iron, so that may become this afternoon's
    >>>project. If that doesn't work, I may resort to heat.

    Yesterday I finally managed to get back to working on the gearbox. I
    removed a couple of studs to provide better access, but the channel locks
    still wouldn't budge it. I cut a couple of ~1 1/2" pieces off of a 1/8" x
    1/2" x 3' angle iron, and a slightly shorter piece to make the bottom of a
    (squarish) "U" that fit the grooves on the end of the shaft. After welding
    these together and checking for fit, I used the remainder of the angle iron
    to make a long (squarish, again) "U" shape and welded this to the business
    end of what was rapidly becoming an impact puller.

    With the puller in hand, I slipped the business end onto the end of the
    shaft and tapped it with a small hammer, but the shaft didn't move, unless
    you want to count the corner of the ear that broke off. This didn't look
    too promising, as the loss of an ear did not bode well for successful
    removal of the shaft. I used the torch to warm the housing up to some
    temperature less than the melting point of aluminum (apparently) and tried
    the tool again. This time the shaft started to move a wee bit with each
    tap, until the o-ring cleared the housing, and it slid out easily.

    All internal parts appear to be in excellent shape, despite the fact that
    they have driven the vehicle a distance equivalent to a trip to the
    moon. Once I finish the rebuild, it should be ready for the return trip.

    John Karlsson
    956 Main Street
    P.O. Box 1023
    Hope Valley, RI 02832