Re: [lro] AJR's new profession

From: Alan J. Richer (mrchurchill109@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 18:57:30 EST

    --- Kirk Hillman <hillman88@telus.net> wrote:

    > This brings up a new topic. Machining in general.
    > What are good
    > resources for the novice to start learning? I've wanted
    > to look into it for
    > years and now feel the compunction...

    Not something I'd be all that sure of (learning, that is).
    I was lost in Rhode Island and raised by a tribe of feral
    machinists...you know what kind of a household it was when
    the depth of the formula in my bottle was measured with a
    dial caliper....8*)

    Seriously, the best way to learn it is to do it. I did a
    lot when I was a kid, then laid off it for a lot of years
    till I bought another lathe and started in again.
    Typically, I've just approached any problem I had looking
    at it through the tools I had - how can I do this with what
    I've got?

    Things tended to just happen from there...8*)

    For example, when redoing Mr. C I had a need to refurbish
    his steering relay. The bearing surfaces and seal running
    surfaces of the shaft were just plain shot - but this was
    one of the mystical shafts that was designed for
    replacement of the running surfaces.

    To fix it, I took a piece of cold-rolled steel and bored it
    to be a press fit over the mounts for the running surfaces.
    After pressing the pieces into place, I then re-chucked the
    shaft and turned the replacement pieces to the proper
    diameter and polished them smooth.

    That's the way I've always done things - look at the
    problem and go for it from there.

    The other thing that would help (and one thing I still do)
    is read, read, read. There are several good machining
    magazines for the hobbyist, as well as books by people like
    TUbal Cain. THe best book for the total tyro is "How To Run
    A Lathe" by the South Bend company. Great book - intended
    as a primer for the apprentice or total newbie at
    machining.

    ALso, have a look at Lindsay Books - they have a great
    range of books on lathe work and machining in general at
    very reasonable prices.

    Mentioning them, there's a series of books they have by a
    chappie named Dave Gingery - the "how to build a machine
    shop from scratch" series. Dave takes you through the
    process of building a little charcoal metal melting
    furnace, then teaches you casting techniques. From there,
    it's patternmaking, and the first tool you build is a
    lathe.

    From there it's drill press, milling machine, shaper and
    all the rest. I have LOT of respect for this book series -
    it teaches lots of skills that are slowly getting lost in
    today's world.

                aj"Phew - lots of words...."r

    =====
    The journey is the destination. Anything else is illusion.

    Please ignore the following advertising.....
    http://tax.yahoo.com