[lro] See, it all figures...

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 16:12:45 EST

    I think it is now possible to express the degree of "disorder" of the
    Land-Rover by a constant. It used to be that the need for repair increased
    exponentially with the amount of mileage covered, but now I've got it down
    to a constant amount of "stuff" that doesn't work.

    Last night I installed some brand new rear springs on Valdez, with (gasp)
    new bolts. These springs solved my spring wrap problem (as they are really
    HD), my excessive sway problem, and the saggy rear end problem. I was simply
    delighted to round corners without having to lean into them, and to be able
    to load five hundred pounds of junk into it without having the spring end up
    in negative arch.

    Of course, having decreased the overall amount (X) of
    unreliability/disorder, mathematics prevailed and left me with a stuck relay
    (draining my new $$$ battery) and a substantial fuel leak. The relay was
    cured this morning with a new one, but the fuel leak is the real annoyance.
    I've fixed that tank once before (it's actually quite solid) but it has
    rusted out right where the salt accumulated behind the tank. Excellent.

    Someone mentioned welding... What IS the general consensus of the list when
    it comes to welding a fuel tank? Of course, after having removed the tank,
    drained it of fuel, filled it with hot water to the brim, and having washed
    it with a mixture of soap and steaming water. That should get rid of enough
    of the fumes and junk, if not I'd just leave it full of water as I'm welding
    it. Ordinarily I wouldn't consider it, but this tank is pretty decent
    inside, and overall is in excellent shape. I figure that with a welded patch
    of 18 gauge over the rusted area (leaking from a pinhole or something) I
    might get some decent life out of it. I hesitate to have it coated as it
    won't fix the problem permanently, it'll simply plug the hole until the
    whole area is weakened and lets go entirely.

    Am I going to explode if I do this? I figure that washing it should rid it
    of a large percentage of vapour, and whatever is left would be "popped" with
    a match before welding it. Welding a tank filled with water sounds like a
    recipe for a brittle weld.

    J-L