Re: [lro] Stainless exhaust systems

From: Patrick Parsons (patrickparsons@hawaii.rr.com)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 00:15:32 EST

    On 3/24/03 6:21 PM, "Bruce Wachal" <epsilon@mts.net> wrote:

    > Hi All:
    > Our thoughts are with our good neighbors to the south.
    >
    > Does anyone on the list have any experience with the comparison between
    > various types of exhaust systems?
    > Double S, Borla, Falcon, N.R.P. ???
    > What are the pros and cons of these and other systems?
    > Is it worth spending the $ for stainless ?
    >
    > Thanks for any input on this topic.

    What's it for?

    I just shared my exhaust experience with Rick Grant, where I concluded that
    a local muffler shop could make me up a whole system for less than $100
    including a flowmaster muffler (this was 5+ years back).

    I still have it, and am only now beginning to hear a small rattle inside the
    muffler at a particular rpm. I suppose I could have the can cut out and
    changed. In fact I can do that at least 7 times before I get close to the
    cost of a stock or stainless (cat-back) system.

    If I bash or mangle my exhaust off-road, I won't mind too much. I certainly
    won't mind as much as the guy with a $800 NRP system. Also, I can just
    hack-saw it off at the kink or bash and proceed on my way, to have it
    repaired/replaced at the next local muffler shop. (FWIW, the stock NAS 110
    V8 system runs about $2100 from head to tip. $1200 for the Y-pipe with cats
    and $800 for the pipe to the rear and the change for the exh. manifolds)

    What an exhausting tale. I could have embellished it, but then it would have
    been all hot-air... ;-)

    Good luck!

    --pat.