Re: [lro] Project Salisburly

From: Keith Kreutzer (keith_kreutzer@msn.com)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2003 - 00:12:03 EST

    Man you guys just had to do it!
    Dana 60 or Salisbury... Both great axles! Both popular modern beef!
    I have a FF 60 in the back of my Jeep with 30 spline Moser Axle shafts the
    Jeep has had up to 38" tall tires on it, it probably turns a real 250 HP at
    this altitude with it's big 401 and I have never broken an axle in all the
    silly stuff I've done in it (including pulling the front wheels off the
    ground in 2X4 while testing traction bars, why the testing? because i got
    tired of breaking pinion yokes!!!! What's the next thing to go? probably the
    output shaft on the t-case... Oops there goes another $2500 into an
    atlas ll !!!!
    The dimensional differences between the 24 spline Salisbury shafts and the
    30 spline D60's are so miniscule that i really doubt any of us would ever
    see the difference, and while the housing of the Salisbury has some really
    nice beef to it, if you're gonna do some crazy crawling there is a lot less
    material on the bottom of a 60 to grind off for that extra clearance... It's
    a matter of convenience when it comes to modifying either one...