Re: [lro] Normal road speeds?

From: Peter Ogilvie (roverhi@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 19:05:56 EST

    If you haven't changed or recalibrated the
    speedometer, your going faster than the indicated
    speed. The more mathematical types can probably tell
    you how much faster but would be willing to bet it's
    well over 5mph.

    I went from 30"x15 wheels to 32"x16 wheels and had
    noticable difference in power in 4th gear. Hills that
    were relatively easy with the smaller tires were a
    grunt with the larger tires and some hills required a
    downshift. The smaller diameter tires were virtually
    useless offroad, however. They also resulted in a
    very high cruising RPM, too high at 55mph for my peace
    of mind, without an overdrive.

    Still in all, you should be able to get the truck up
    to 60mph, actual, and probably 65mph with the 33"
    diameter tires you are running. I can get my 109
    pickup up to 75mph with 32" tires but I've milled the
    head, a Weber 32/36, and 2.5 cam so isn't stock. If I
    were you, I'd either buy a cheap GPS receiver or
    borrow one from a friend. That will give you your
    actual speed. A tach would also allow you to compute
    your actual speed, no matter the tire diameter.

    Aloha
    Peter O.