Re: [lro] Project Salisburly

From: Gbrovers@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 15:17:44 EST

    In a message dated 3/9/03 8:02:28 PM, cgj94@sympatico.ca writes:

    > I have seen a disco blow the rear diff after being fitted with uprated axles
    > and 245/75 m/t tires.
    > $1000 for diff or $100 for half shaft??????
    > easy choice for me

         Late model Rover open diffs are a known failure point (usually the cross
    shaft) and have nothing to do with the strength of the axle shafts. In 1980
    "rationalized" the vehicles including the differentials. This means they
    metric-ized the diff and in the fine Land Rover tradition, they only
    partially did it, although I am getting of the subject here. Anyway, one of
    the changes they made at this point was to change from a pinned cross shaft
    to a circliped cross shaft. For some reason someone thought it was a good
    idea to allow the cross shaft to rotate. They also thought that if the cross
    shaft can rotate they should provide for lubrication and they machined some
    flats on the cross shaft. The transition from the flat to the round portion
    of the cross shaft is where they usually fail. They aren't an especially
    large cross shaft either. Rover finally figured out that this wasn't a good
    arrangement and changed the design on the P 38 Range Rovers (95's to 02's)
    and also the Discovery 2's. One of the changes was to go back to a pinned
    cross shaft and it is also larger in diameter.
         The only problems that Rover is having with diffs of late, is on the
    DIscovery 2's which have elecronic traction control. The ETC is starting to
    eat up the planetary gears (side and spider gears) in the carriers. Problem
    is they are still a 2 pinion diff and the torque transfer side to side puts a
    lot of stress on just two little itty bitty spider gears. Most aftermarket
    traction diffs have 4 pinion carriers so you spread the torque out over a
    much larger area.

    Bill
    GBR