[lro] Don't ask how I know this...

From: John M. Baker (jmbaker@bkk2.loxinfo.co.th)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 05:41:07 EST

    I always feel a sense of relief when I see posts that end, "Don't ask how I
    know this" because it means I am not the only one who has done some really
    hare-brained things when working on vehicles. One of my personal all time
    favorites occured when I first started repairing my own vehicles as a
    teenager. Over some beers I spent several hours with some friends trying to
    get the cylinder barrel over the pistons on my Triumph 500 twin (may its name
    be cursed). We finally ended breaking one of the fins. The next day a
    mechanically savvy cousin visited, pulled one of the rings off a piston,
    flipped the head over, and tried to fit the ring in one cylinder. That took
    about three seconds. Then he turned to me and said, "John, the rings are too
    large." I am still embarrassed when I see him. No Land Rover content, except
    that a Triumph could leak as much as any Land Rover if set up properly.
    Nothing like vertically split cases for keeping dustry driveways sealed.

    Regards,

    John
    1975 SIII 109 2.25 Petrol (With correct size rings)