Re: [lro] tranny x-member

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Sat Mar 15 2003 - 16:24:17 EST

    > Since I will have the tranny out, I was contemplating converting the
    > crossmember into a removeable one. Are there any special considerations
    > I should take into account?

    I've done this a few times. It's nice to be able to pull the tranny without
    removing the floor. I've seen a few styles, my favorite is using 1.5X1.5
    square tube steel, about 8" long. The ends are cut at 45 degrees to make it
    look like this \_______/ You simply weld these ends to the existing
    crossmember (after removing it and cutting the ends where previously welded,
    off). Then it's a matter of drilling out some holes into the angled part so
    the bolt heads are kinda half recessed into the piece of tubing. Then, some
    long 1/2 bolts and nuts, and you're set. Note to the wise, put the nuts on
    the top, as if you put the bolts in from the top, you can't remove them with
    the seatbox in place. Don't ask ;-)

    I wonder if you all get what I'm saying...

    J-L