Re: [lro] OT: Hydropneumatic shocks

From: Phil Norris (pr.norris@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 05:07:00 EST

    After the proper reply, the blue-sky one.. :~))
    I know this is a leafer list, but also there are a few good engineers so
    hear me out?
    Has anyone ever thought of replacing the suspension on a coiler with
    hydraulics like the lo-riderz guys use? 4 rams instead of springs/shocks, 4
    accumulators large size for springing. Compressor and oil reserve to
    lift/drop the entire system, and a nitrogen bottle into the the accumulators
    to get variable spring rates too....
    A quick surf 'round got me to a UK site
    http://www.maxhydraulics.com/hydprod.html which has a range of explanations
    across the top.
    I know there are Field-er/ing and others who have "invented" flexi active
    suspensions for 4x4s before, but anyone any reasons why it wouldn't work?
    I know it's a bit mad too, but imagine a 4 pump system with a batch of
    batteries plumbed to each ram, A Rangie that'll "jump" an obstacle, anyone?
    " Dreamer, nothing but a dreamer....."
    PhilN