Re: [lro] Bulkhead Help

From: MarkoNTL (marko.cosic@ntlworld.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 14:10:53 EST

    John Rayl wrote:
    > I didn't get a response last time, so does anyone have any info on the
    > proper way to fix a Series bulkhead? I'll need to replace both
    > footwells, and both uprights. My concern
    > is accurate alignment of the parts to be welded in. Does anyone have
    > any step-by-step photos of such a repair? Any suggestions on making a
    > jig or fixture to hold the
    > bulkhead while parts are cut off and new welded on? I'm not looking
    > for a show quality repair, just clean, sturdy, and accurate.

    I made a frame from 1"x1"x1/8" angle iron that went from bottom pillar to
    bottom pillar (and picked up on the bolt holes that hold the bulkhead to the
    chassis), with verticals welded to that that went up to the top of the
    bulkhead, picking up on the door checkstrap (series 3) mouting holes and
    continuing (with a kink) to the 'windscreen clamp' mounting holes. A
    crossbeam linked the two uprights and bolted, with a big plank of wood as a
    spacer, to the 'transmission tunnel' part of the bulkhead.

    That held it square, and when I trial fitted the repaired bulkehad to the
    new chassis, the bolts slid in by hand, no hammering/cursing/levering
    needed!